I modified the recipe slightly. For the original recipe, click here. And, while the picture may not be the best, I promise you the salad is delicious. The list of ingredients is what I used, although you could really using anything in the “taco salad acceptable” realm (I think avocados would be excellent on this). Seriously, it’s the sauce that makes the salad and it’s 100% fat-free. This is my new favorite.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (my simplification of the five ingredients in the original)
- 1 pound skinned, boned chicken breast — cut into thin strips
- Cooking spray
- 6 c shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 c sliced red onion – separated into rings
- 1/2 c shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 c grape tomatoes, halved
Creamy Cilantro-Lime Sauce:
- 1/2 c fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 c fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves — minced
Combine olive oil and taco seasoning in a medium bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat. Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add chicken mixture; sauté 8 minutes or until chicken is done. Set aside.
Divide lettuce and next 5 ingredients (lettuce through tomato) among bowls; top with chicken mixture. Serve with Creamy Cilantro-Lime Sauce.
To make Creamy Cilantro-Lime Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small food processor (the original said to whisk it, but when using fat-free ingredii, I’ve found the food processor works much better to get that cream consistency). Cover sauce, and chill.
I didn’t calculate points, but my guess is about 5, with the chicken and the sauce.