So, today was a shorter long run…before they start getting progressively longer. I have a million things to do, so no deep contemplation. Just a few things I learned.
- Apparently, there’s a reason that ALL training schedules have you do midweek runs. They make a difference. My week was a little crazy, and if you were paying attention to my mileage on the sidebar (which you probably weren’t because, well, I’m sure…why would you?), then you would know that I did NO running midweek. There are lots of reasons why not, but I’ll spare you my excuses. The bottom line? There is no way I can get away with that again.
- I think about the most random things ever when I run. Seriously. But, I have no time and next week’s SPT challenge will be a perfect opportunity for me to share those thoughts.
- I love the new fuel belt: first, it sits well and doesn’t move around. Second, it holds 40 oz of fluid and the “holsters” make getting the bottles in and out super easy. Third, there’s a zipper pouch in the front for my car key. And last, there’s a good sized fanny pack in the back with plenty of room for my energy chews (and maybe a small camera on race day…too bad I don’t own one).
- Speaking of energy chews…Pina Colada is not my favorite flavor. I mean, I got them down, but yuck!
- After speaking with a couple of SGM veteran’s, I was informed that not only should I be training downhill, but I need to make sure that I do some good, hard uphill training. My intention was to do that this week on my short runs and throw in a mile of uphill today. Well, as you know, the midweek runs didn’t happen…but I still threw in that mile today. Bad idea. Very bad idea.
- Another bad idea, staying up until 1:30 am and then attempting to get up four hours later. I ended up finally dragging my butt out of bed at 7:30…on the trail at 8:00.
- While it was still relatively cool up the canyon at 8 am, there were way more people on the trail than what I am accustomed to. I didn’t like it…at all. This does not bode well for race day, when there will be thousands of other people out there with me. Time to get over myself I guess.
- There’s no new playlist today. I used the one from last week. Which, incidentally, was another bad idea on a run that involved harder terrain than what I’ve been doing (read – I needed more walking breaks).
Okay…that’s all I have to say about that. Time to clean my cluttery little hole over the garage and take another practice GMAT. Good times.
*Sad that this post is my attempt at keeping it short. Oh well. There are worse things than being long-winded, I suppose.