14 miles that didn’t happen

*Photos to come…I couldn’t take my camera, so I have to wait until Sarah posts some on her blog and steal them.

For the first time since beginning my path to the finish line, I skipped out on a long run. Having read my struggle with last week’s (that I did this week) long run, I hope you are able to grasp just how exhausted I must have been to miss out on a long run. I went to bed Friday night fully intending to run. I knew I was tired and it was a shorter run (you know, as compared to 18 or 20 miles) so I set my alarm for 7:30. It’s cooled off quite a bit, and my run was four miles longer on Monday, so I figured starting a bit later would be fine.

My alarm went off at 7:30 am. I grabbed the alarm (aka my cell phone) and turned it off. No snooze. No argument in my head. No voice with which to reckon. It was over before it began. And, do you know what? I slept until 11:00 am! I was so tired. Normally, I’m not one for sleeping in, even when I have the time. It creates what my brother Brad calls a “blah day”. I know you know what I’m talking about, and while sleeping in may not be the cause of a “blah day” in your world, it is in mine.

However, in this whole journey of running and weight loss I am really coming to know myself, my limitations and my strengths. And yesterday, my body just couldn’t do it. Between my crazy first week of the semester at work, beginning a class, diving into the grad school application process, a religion class, and various social engagements, sleep was just not on the priority list. I think part of the problem was also that, due to my lack of running during the week, I had a lot of built up stress. I’m amazed at how exercising really gives energy more than it takes it.

In any case, I was so tired yesterday that I couldn’t even stay awake long enough to argue my way into or out of running. In fact, I barely remember turning off the alarm. The good news is, due to a full social calendar yesterday (which included only one event, but took most of my day), I did not have a “blah day”. In fact, I’ve discovered that the only remedy for potential blahness is participation in a meaningful, useful, or somehow otherwise enriching activity.

Yesterday, it was the Jamboree Music Festival. I headed over to Sarah’s at about 1:00 pm. We weren’t sure exactly what time we wanted to get there, but we figured we had a little time to spare, so we headed to lunch and then to Barnes and Noble…where I purchased a book on resumes. We then headed to the festival.

It was fantastic. The first few bands that we heard were not bands that either of us were a) familiar with or b) super impressed by, but they provided for some great background music as I read through my book of MBA application essays (yes, I have a one-track-mind right now) and periodically looked up to people watch. I love people watching! And Sarah is one of my favorite people with whom to people watch. I could sit all day and just do that.

After a few mediocre, but full of potential, bands played (and I include Colbie Caillat in that bunch…she’s just not that good live), The Format finally took the stage and so my attention was turned completely to the stage (and gawking at the bad dancers who surrounded us). The Format is so good live. I was a fan before, but something about hearing a band you love playing live and doing it well, it’s just enough to make a girl swoon.

They were followed by Toad the Wet Sprocket who made jokes about the fact that many members of the audience would probably find their tunes vaguely familiar, as they probably heard them in the womb. Of course, I am not among that group and remember well the days when I would put “Walk on the Ocean” on repeat. Oh wait, not repeat. Repeat didn’t exist in my tape deck. When I would listen to it and then rewind the cassette, trying to master my timing so as to stop the rewind process at the beginning of the song. Those were the days.

Last, and most importantly, was Dashboard Confessional (and Justin, they played your new favorite…it was amazing). Sarah went over while Toad was still on and was standing about two feet from Chris Carrabba. As she’s the superfan, I stayed at the blanket to ensure we didn’t lose our spot or our stuff. What a show. I wish you all could have been there. Seriously incredible. Great musicians and great performers. And how glad was I that I hadn’t run, but chose to slept in so that I wasn’t completely miserable during the concert? Very, very glad.

And that is how my non-running left me happy and content. There will be no repeat of said non-running between now and the marathon, but it was a nice break. Tomorrow, the running is back in action, full force.

10 thoughts on “14 miles that didn’t happen

  1. I am so impressed by your running and WW. It is very impressive to me to see someone who can set their mind to something and do it.Sleeping in doesn’t help me out either. I need to get up and get going to make it a productive day.

  2. i so did that exact same rewind thing with “walk on the ocean”. love that song! sounds like an awesome concert. i’m totally jealous. and i have a little crush on chris carrabba.

  3. Hi Chloe-Just a quick note to remind you of the Dinner Divas date on Saturday.Please let either Jody or I know if you plan to be there. 🙂

  4. Sounds great. I quite enjoy DC. Your recap reminds me of the time that Lori, Jill, our brother Adam, and I went to see John Mayer at Deer Valley and Guster was the opening show. None of us knew who the heck they were and all these Orem High students were screaming for them. We just wanted to see John Mayer. Couldn’t wait for them to get off the stage. Funny enough, after a few songs we decided we liked them. We were just a bunch of old folks among that crowd. I am old enough to remember Toad the wet sprocket.

  5. i love toad. i saw them october of ’97…right before they broke up for the first time. i also have seen dashboard live…and that was maybe 4 or 5 years ago…and i felt OLD at the concert. imagine that. sounds like you had a good time!oh, and about the blah days…isn’t it amazing how short a day seems after you’ve slept in until 11?

  6. Toad AND Dashboard????? “Crowing” is one of my all-time favorite songs…sigh…I’m so jealous. Glad you gave yourself permission to slow down a little!

  7. I am SO one of those people who has a “blah day” after sleeping in. Bart usually won’t even let me sleep in past about eight thirty because he knows I’ll just be crabby all day about having “wasted my day” and so forth. The concert sounds fantastic!

bueller?... bueller?... bueller?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s