So, Dianne and I were out running about a month ago (she’s the one who lit the running fire under my butt) and we were talking about food (yes, while running) and she mentioned how fun it might be to get a little salad group going at work. Get five of us and we would each have one day a week when we would be responsible for feeding the group. Well, she was off at the time (oh, to be on a ten month contract), so we didn’t get it started until this week.
Dianne started it off with a bang. She made this amazing Black Bean and Corn Salad. She even calculated the points out (a few of us at work, including Dianne, are on or have been on Weight Watcher’s) so that we wouldn’t have to do any math. I only wish that I had my camera with me on Monday because it was as pretty as it was delicious. Seriously!
Well, Wednesday is my day, so on Monday I got online to find some recipes (I love the internet) and found a couple of great websites with Weight Watcher’s recipes. But one particular recipe stood out to me…and I now know that it is delicious!
Red Bean Salad with Feta and Peppers
- 1 can (19 oz) kidney beans
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 c. cabbage, finely chopped (red or green…but I like the color with the green)
- 2 green onions, chopped (I used the entire onion…white to green)
- 4 oz feta cheese, cubed (roughly 1 cup)
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped (I cut this in half and I used flat leaf or Italian parsley)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
Drain kidney beans and rinse under cold water. In salad bowl, combine beans, red pepper, cabbage, onions, cheese, parsley, garlic, lemon juice and oil; toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate up to three days.
Yield: 6 servings (about 1 cup each). 3 points per serving.
Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 7 grams